Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

SPOILER ALERT!

Started Out Great, But Had a Terrible Ending

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards  - Lilian Jackson Braun

I had originally read this book in 2002.  A few weeks ago, I was volunteering at a book sale. There was a temporary pause in the activity and I picked up a copy of this book since I knew the author had created a light, easy to read series.  I quickly got re-introduced to Jim Qwilleran and enjoyed a few minutes of reading.  When I got home, I was eager to find my copy and resume reading.  Over the past few days, I enjoyed a few stolen minutes when I read about Qwilleran and Koko instead of doing my taxes.

After a hectic day on April 15, I sat down to finish the book.  Boy, was I disappointed with the book (and not my taxes, since I am getting a large refund.)  The murderer was a character that had never appeared in the book until he threatened Qwilleran, who instantly knew the criminal's name, despite having never met him before!  Qwilleran's explanation to his co-workers stretched the limits of credulity.  I was so disappointed in the ending that I reduced my rating from 3 1/2 stars to 2 1/2 stars.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress