Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

A Cold and Lonely Place

A Cold and Lonely Place  - Sara J. Henry

I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.  I was delighted to read this mystery that takes place during the cold winter months in the Adirondacks.

As men in Saranac Lake, New York, are cutting open the ice to build a ice palace, a body is found.  Troy Chance is taking photographs for the local newspaper as the body is dragged out of the water.  It is the body of the boyfriend of one of Troy's roommates, a man that Troy didn't really like.

Troy is given an assignment to write a detailed feature on the man and why he came to the Adirondacks.  The first question asked is about his death.  Is it suicide, murder or a tragic accident?  If it is an accident, then where is his truck?  Why was his cabin burglarized? Troy's investigation unearths many family secrets, but will they explain the death?

I loved the mood of the book.  It had a cold, hard feel that matched the snow and cold. This book did not seem like a traditional mystery, especially in the way the book ended. Troy learns that first, second and even third impressions of people are not always accurate and that sometimes understanding of others comes with knowledge of their history.

There are several references to a mystery solved in a previous novel.  I understood this book and its storyline, but felt the constant references to an earlier book went a little too far.  However, I will probably try to read the first book in the series.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress