Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

In Many Ways, Maddening

Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

This is rated 3 1/2 stars. The introduction to my edition says that this was Hardy's first masterpiece. That might explain the lengthy and occasionally tedious descriptions that the reader has to wade through.

Bathsheba is presented as a strong-willed, beautiful, hard-working, independent and intelligent woman. In reality, she is beautiful, but that is about it. She is so strong-willed that she can't tell Boldwood she doesn't want to marry him. She is seldom seen in the fields working. She marries the first pretty male face with a muscular body that shows up and becomes subservient to him. This shows she is neither intelligent or independent.

The hero of the story is the the stabilizing and stalwart Gabriel Oak who remains steadfast in his love for Bathsheba, yet keeps his integrity. Despite other readers' opinions, I found Gabriel the kind of man that makes a good husband and father. I'm glad he finally gets his heart's desire at the end of the book. I hope he never regretted that decision.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress