Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

Still Relevant After All These Years

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Each time I read this book, I am amazed at how marvelous it is. Harper Lee portrays the residents of a little town in Alabama with such accuracy that I can see each person clearly in my mind. I can see Atticus, a strong, brave, quiet man who always tries to do right, regardless of the consequences. He values all human life, regardless of skin color. Others in the town might agree with him, but are afraid to voice their opinions, some through fear and others through financial concerns. We see the stratified classes of the whites through the opinions of the narrator's aunt. We see the hypocrisy of the leading church members, who are busy donating money to convert the Africans, while ignoring and denigrating the black population in their own backyards. Harper Lee shows us all sorts of people with love and compassion, ranging from the mentally disturbed to the angry outcast. She reveals the flaws in the justice system of the South in the 1930's, where no black man would be believed if a white man or woman accused him of rape, murder, or any other crime.

Not much has changed in our country. As soon as I finished reading this book, I saw a 48 Hours presentation of a black man who has been imprisoned for more than 25 years, convicted, not based on evidence, but based on the words of a white woman and shenanigans of a corrupt police and justice system in Florida.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress