Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

How is the death "beautiful blue?"

A Beautiful Blue Death - Charles Finch

This is the first book in the series of Charles Lenox, a Victorian aristocratic detective. It certainly wasn't as well written as the later books in the series. I found several typos and one major gaffe in the book. In Chapter 31, Charles and his lady friend, Jane, are preparing for a banquet and dance. Lady Jane is helping Charles with the final touches of his dress at "just past six." After they converse, it was "nearly six." I guess Mr. Finch did not have a great proofreader for this addition of the book.

Lady Jane asks Charles Lenox, the detective (not Charles Finch, the author) to investigate the death of her former servant girl. Scotland Yard proclaims it is a suicide, but Jane is not sure. Charles finds that the servant girl was actually poisoned with a rare and expensive poison. Why was this servant killed? To find the answer, Charles visits Parliament as well as lowly and poor sections of London. He is attacked near his home. Finally, his prime suspect is stabbed and killed at the banquet. Only then, does Charles piece together the rhyme and reason for the two murders.

Even though I enjoyed much of the story, there were several improbable events. One of the prime clues  was a small raw burn mark seen on a suspect's arm. However, how this small mark could be seen on a dark evening while across the street is far-fetched and unbelievable. Even the explanation of how this burn occurred did not make sense. I am glad that I have read other books in the series first. Otherwise, I might have not read any other books by Mr. Finch.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress