Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe I had to read this for one of my classes and I am so glad I did. Achebe's main character is an Ibo, who lived in the area that is called Nigeria today. It shows his life before contact with the British and how it changed when the British came to his clan's city to colonize the heathens. Some Africans readily accepted the new religion and new form of government, but Okonkwo did not. A violent man before the British came, his anger and rage only increased with the obtuseness of the British rule. I was saddened by the replacement of one false religion by another--ancestor worship by the church of England. The author did a good job of portraying the confusion of doctrine on both sides and why some people accepted the new religion and others did not. He also showed why many Ibo and other Africans tolerated the British until it was too late to fight them. This book is easy to read and very informative.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress