Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

Just Kids - Patti Smith This is one of the worst books I have ever read. If it had not been chosen by my book club in Montclair, NJ, I would never have finished it.There are many reasons why I didn't like the book, but I will limit myself to only three.1. I knew little about Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe before reading this book. The author, Patti Smith, seems to believe that everyone should know who she is and who Robert Mapplethorpe was. She arrogantly assumes that reader is familiar with every minor character with whom she crossed paths. I did not recognize many of the names of the people that she compulsively lists, hoping that I, the reader, will be impressed. Only a resident of Manhattan or Brooklyn will recognize the locations and names of the stores, shops or hotels she assumes everyone has heard of. I live in New Jersey and visit the City often and I don't know many of the places she glorifies.2. None of the main characters are likeable, moral humans. If you enjoy reading about deviant sexual behavior, drug use, thievery, liars, and other sordid behavior, then you will enjoy this book. The author prides herself on her open-mindedness. She seems to wonder why everyone around her dies, not realizing that the lifestyle she and her friends are living contributes to the high death rate. 3. The author mentions names of poets, writers, books, songs, etc. that are probably unfamiliar to most readers. It would be helpful to give a little background to people like Arthur Rimbaud, who plays a significant role in the book or Jean Genet or Tinkerbelle. She uses descriptions that meant nothing to me like a man who had a "John Garfield swagger." Other examples include a statement that she was wearing a "Mayakovsky cap" or describing someone's room as having a "real Anna Kavan setup."I'm sure that there are a few people who would appreciate this book, but I was not one of them.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress