Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

The Mosquito Coast

The Mosquito Coast - Paul Theroux

I have only heard good reviews about this book. I found myself agreeing with the father, Allie Fox, about the state of America; at least in the first few chapters. However, as the father begins his quest to go to Honduras to escape the corruption of America, I begin to wonder about his sanity. Very soon, I found the book unbearable to read. First, I found Part II very slow reading. I couldn't understand what the local people were saying since Theroux used localized spelling and pronunciations. Sometimes the context help in understanding, but many times it did not. The descriptions of how items were made became tedious. The constant ramblings of the father were wearisome. Finally, the plot picked up in the second half of the book and became more interesting, though horrifying.Second, the father made the narrator, Charlie, a 14 year old boy, do some very dangerous things. No loving father would jeopardize their son's life to prove a point. Charlie's mother never stopped her husband. In the beginning of the book, she seemed to admire her husband-his inventions, his way of life, his treatment of her children. Later, when she sees her husband has flipped his lid, she is helpless to protect herself or her children.Third, I don't really enjoy reading about child abuse, especially mental abuse. I can tolerate it in small doses which is all that an intelligent reader needs. This goes on and on.Fourth, the father's equating himself to God and denigrating God was blasphemous. I was glad at the end that he died a slow and painful death. I seldom want a character to die, but this narcissistic man, I did. Fourth, I didn't think the descriptions of the inhabitants were very complimentary, so I wonder what the residents of Honduras think about this book.The book certainly has merit is showing the progression of insanity and how it affects the whole family, especially the children.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress