Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

The Hound of the Baskervilles -  Arthur Conan Doyle I have read condensed versions of this book when my children were younger. However, reading Doyle's version was wonderful. The descriptions of the moor helped to create a mood of horror. The loneliness of the land, the dreariness of the stormy weather as well as Baskerville's house, the eerie and haunting howling of a hound all foreshadow horrifying events.I enjoy this book because we get to know Dr. Watson better. Sherlock Holmes leaves him alone with Henry Baskerville. We see much of the events through his eyes which helps build the suspense. We are led to feel Dr. Watson's fears and terror.I did not like the arrogance of Sherlock Holmes' decision to use Henry Baskerville in the way he did. Baskerville had to spend several years to recover from the events of one night, all because Holmes used him as bait without his knowledge.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress