Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern This is a magical book with a magical story written by a magical writer...absolutely wonderful. I was not expecting to enjoy this novel because I don't usually read fanciful tales, but this book got me hooked from page one. The descriptions of the circus, including the smells, made all my senses tingle as I saw myself visiting this wonderful place. I could smell the different seasons and feel the rain and the snow and relate to the heartache and joys of the various members of the circus.I could tell you about the plot, but that is not what is important. The importance is the composing and relating the tale. The end of the book gives the purpose: "Someone needs to tell those tales...There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words."There is magic and salvation in words, whether spoken orally or written down.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress