Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger I was not allowed to read this book as a child. I shouldn't have read it as an adult either. I'm sorry that the Bloomfield Library reading club selected it. Why do I feel this way? This book is full of foul language from the first page to the last. God's name is NOT held in reverence. Could the story have been told without raw language? Yes.The main character, Holden Caulfield, is emotionally disturbed. He sees the hypocrisy in the adults all around him, not realizing that he is full of hypocrisy too. He dislikes liars, yet lies constantly. He doesn't want to grow up to be like those around him, so, instead of finding his own way, he tries to live in a structured fantasy world. He doesn't realize how immature he is, yet the reader sees it perfectly. He does not have the ability to develop emotional relationships with others. He doesn't know how to behave in public. It was painful to read about Holden. Yet, there is a sweet relationship with his younger sister, Phoebe. He seems to understand children and enjoys being around them. Perhaps that is where Holden's future will be...caring for children, teaching them or counseling them. In the meantime, he needs to grow up, "find himself," and wash his mouth out with soap.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress