Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

A Study in Scarlet -  Arthur Conan Doyle I was really tempted to give this book 2 stars because it is not as well written or as interesting as many other Sherlock Holmes' mysteries. However, this book introduces Sherlock Holmes to the reader. We meet Dr. Watson, who has just returned from the war in, guess what, Afghanistan. He is suffering PTSD when he meets Sherlock Holmes. Both are looking for an apartment and they decide to live together. Watson describes his new roommate to us for the first time. We learn about Holmes' moods, his love of science, his violin playing, and, of course, his theories on deductive reasoning.This novella is divided into two parts. In the first section, Sherlock captures the murderer and the second part gives the background to the murder. It involves the wild American West and the early Mormons under Brigham Young. It is not particularly accurate representation of the Mormons. In fact, it is quite scary. If Doyle created a true representation of the Mormon religion, then America should not elect a Mormon president!I thought the story line rather far-fetched and did not feel moved by the murders, the murderer or the background story.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress