Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

SPOILER ALERT!

The Good, the Bad and the Improbable

The Good, the Bad, and the Emus - Donna Andrews

By complete coincidence, I started reading two books at the same time and both featured recluses. Isn't that weird? I began this book and To Kill a Mockingbird at the same time.

In this case, the recluse was an elderly woman who was related to Meg's paternal grandmother, who was recently killed. Of course, Meg and her family need to find out more. Luckily for them, the deceased grandmother was involved in saving feral emus, so Meg's grandfather was able to figure out a way to capture the emus and have Meg investigate the murder at the same time. Sound far-fetched? That is only the beginning.

As usual, the plot borders on the absurd, but the down-to-earth Meg manages to make the story plausible. I was glad that Meg's mother only appeared briefly, since she is one member of the family I can barely tolerate. Even though Meg is a mother to two small children, they never interfere with her investigations. That does not seem realistic to me at all. In fact, there were a few incidents that were so unsettling and improbable that I got distracted from the story. Those items include a partial plate laying around for 30 years and a totally unrealistic fight scene. For these reasons, I only gave the book 4 stars.

I recently met Donna Andrews at Malice Domestic and she signed my book. However, that exciting event did not affect my review in any way!

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress