Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

Bleak House Leads to Bleak Read

Bleak House - Nicola Bradbury, Charles Dickens, Terry Eagleton

I am not a Dickens fan and this book is a prime example of why. It is long and wordy and really needed an editor. Yes, I know he got paid by the word, but so did other authors, like Trollope, Gaskell and Collins: however, their books are readable and enjoyable.

I have tried to read this book in the past and never succeeded. However, this time I finished although it took more than 130 days or 4 1/2 months.

The basic idea behind the book is how a defective court system destroyed people's lives. Unfortunately, Dickens gives so many examples that the reader gets inundated and doesn't really care who lives or dies by the end of the saga. His book is almost as long as the court case.

There were less caricature figures in this book and for that I rejoiced. Dickens actually portrayed the Bagnet family in a humorous and realistic way. They were the highlight of the book and I wish more time had been spent in writing about this family.

The first half of the book (about 500 pages!) really dragged. More and more characters were added until the reader needed a list of who's who. Fortunately, the second half of the book flowed more quickly. It is for this reason that I gave it 2 1/2 stars.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress