Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

I discovered a new mystery writer!

The Laws of Murder: A Charles Lenox Mystery - Charles Finch

I have never read a mystery by Charles Finch until I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I am very happy I was sent the book (in just three days!) and delighted that the book was so enjoyable.

I like historical mysteries, especially those set in Victorian England. This author's lead detective is Charles Lenox, a member of the aristocracy. He has just given up his seat in Parliament to set up a detective agency. Even though Lenox wants to be a detective, he is overwhelmed by running the detective agency as a business. One partner leaves when Lenox doesn't bring in profitable work. Finally, Lenox gets invited by Scotland Yard to work on a case when one of his friends is murdered. Resolving this crime takes Lenox from the boat docks on the Thames to home of a degenerate peer. His wife and daughter are threatened while he is trying to solve the case.

I had to verify that the Underground actually existed in 1876. It did, although it was called the Metropolitan Railroad at first. I didn't realize that it was running that early.

I also wonder if the author would have liked to be a detective during the Victorian Era, so he dubbed the detective, Charles, after himself.

I did not want to put this book down, so I stayed up later than I should have, to read more. This book gets 4 1/2 stars!

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress