Meandering Em's

Passion is books, photography, running and traveling. Also passionate about environmental issues.

The Little Prince

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Richard Howard

This is considered a children's book and is read in the 4th and 5th grades. I am not sure if children would understand the meaning. I'm not sure it is even written for children.

A man crashes his plane into the Sahara Desert where he meets a little prince who is from a very small asteroid. The prince leaves home because he doesn't understand a beautiful flower who decided to germinate on his "planet." He visits several other asteroids which also have only one occupant. One is ruled by a king who has no subjects. Another is inhabited by a vain man who did not listen. "Vain men never hear anything but praise." One planet belonged to businessman. Times haven't changed because this man was too busy with his calculations to have a meaningful and useful life. Eventually, the little prince lands on Earth and finds everyone running around trying to find satisfaction.

The little Prince finally realizes he needs to go back home and leaves the narrator full of sadness.

What is the main theme of the book? I suggest you read it and let me know what you think.

The Waiting Years
Fumiko Enchi
Progress: 94/208 pages
Project Puffin: The Improbable Quest to Bring a Beloved Seabird Back to Egg Rock
Derrick Z. Jackson, Stephen W. Kress